A trip to hardware stores these days opens up a world of wonder. There are so many new things to do and try that it’s hard to contain yourself. But where do you start? And how do you make sure that you stay safe amidst all of these projects? Hardware stores hold the key to not only starting and completing your project, but also helping you stay safe throughout the process as well.
Start by gathering all of the safety equipment you need. To save a trip back to the hardware store, add these items to your list in addition to the items you are already planning on buying to complete the project:
- Face masks – for jobs that require the use of harsh chemicals or paint or that simply lift a lot of dust up into the air
- Safety goggles – if you’re working with flying chips or bits of any kind, whether it’s paint, wood chips, or something else
- Ear plugs – or when you’re using a piece of loud and noisy equipment
- Work gloves – make sure that they have a reinforced palm or double leather because some materials can slice right through regular work gloves
- A first aid kit – this one might not be available in your local hardware stores, but it is a necessity to make sure that you are prepared just in case an accident does happen in spite of your best preparation efforts.
In addition to these safety items, spend some time looking over the tools you plan to be using. You can save a trip or two down to the hardware stores by simply taking inventory and looking for things that need to be replaced. A belt or chain is a simple fix that can be made ahead of time if you notice that it is going out.
If you’re going to be working with anything that requires an expert, then make sure that you hire one. Don’t mess with electricity or plumbing unless you are absolutely certain that you know what you’re doing. After all, most people who don’t have a clue and try their hands at these more complicated tasks just end up making the situation worse than it already is. Save yourself some extra trips to the hardware store by finding someone who knows what they are doing.
There are a few Phoenix hardware stores like Eagle Ace Hardware that offer professionals who can come out and offer advice on these difficult aspects of your DIY projects.